In October, the Australian PDF company Nitro PDF saw a massive data breach that may have impacted several companies such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. The breach is reported to have compromised personal information from over 70 million user records and that those records are being auctioned online for as much as $80,000.
We are all aware of the importance of keeping ourselves secure and safe online. During the time of COVID-19, while we’re seeing remote work more often than ever before, it’s essential to be diligent when it comes to keeping our information private and secure. And if you’re a business owner, it is imperative that all of your accounts and the accounts of your employees are also secure to avoid large scale data breaches like the Nitro PDF breach.
Staying up to date on the most recent data breaches and safety measures are the best ways to keep your information protected and to prevent data breaches. But what does account security really look like? Read below for our tips to ensure the safety of your accounts.
Why Worry About Account Safety?
Account safety and security are more important now than ever before due to increased reliance on remote work. Most employees are relying on the security of their own home networks and personal devices, which likely are not as secure as those provided by employers. Without proper monitoring and safety measures, the risks of account breaches can increase. Educating employees to properly monitor their accounts and privacy online is essential in keeping the whole of your business secure.
Monitor Your Account Security
If you’re concerned about the security of your online accounts, there are ways to review and monitor them for issues. Some applications will alert you if your information has been compromised by sending you emails to change your password. Take this a step further by being proactive and checking to see if your information has been compromised on a regular basis.
Sites like https://haveibeenpwned.com/ allow you to search across multiple known breaches to identify whether your email address has been compromised or affected. You can also set up notifications for breaches that may affect your email address or search specific domains to ensure no data breaches have occurred.
How to Keep Your Account Safe
There are several relatively simple ways to maximize the security of your accounts and make it more difficult for your sensitive information to be jeopardized. Below are some easy-to-implement steps that you and your employees can take to help protect your information:
- Use different passwords for every account you manage and never reuse the same password for multiple accounts. Otherwise, if one of your accounts is breached, all your passwords are compromised.
- Utilize services like LastPass which will generate and store strong, random passwords for all your accounts safely and securely.
- Never share your passwords with co-workers or family members. They should only be known to you.
- Enable 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) across all of your accounts to prevent unrecognized logins and add an extra level of protection.
- Always be sure you use secure Wi-Fi networks that are password protected. This is especially important if you are working from your personal device. Never connect to an unsecured network. If you are using public Wi-Fi, use a virtual private network (VPN) to keep your traffic encrypted and data safe.
How Can IITG Help?
If you’re a business and are concerned about the security of your network, we’re here to help. IITG’s network monitoring service can ensure your account security. We carefully monitor company devices to ensure that privacy and security are maintained. For more information about our network security service, visit our Services Page or call us at (216) 370-7997.